Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hmmmmmmm! Very Interesting!

Hey, all!

For once, I'm actually posting in the same vein and topic as my last post!  Ya just never know what I'm gonna do next, eh?  All over the map, usually; so maybe this is the one time that lightening is striking in the same place?  LOL

I thought I'd give a bit of an update to the last post as well as a couple comments have occurred to me since.  I promise this post won't be as long as the last one, so you don't hafta go make yourself a cuppa and get your slippers to be comfortable while reading this!

I subscribe to the Etsy newsletters as probably most all Etsy sellers do. They're interesting, inspiring, helpful, cool to see the new creations ... and I just generally enjoy getting 'em 'cause I rarely make it to the front page to read all the articles and nearly NEVER go directly to the Storque or blog. 

Anyhow, this week one came that was quite normal, announcing changes/improvements to Treasury creation, workings and such.  However, down at the bottom of the letter was something I'd never seen before.  If it's been included in the past, shame on me for not noticing; but I do get the feeling it might not've been and that this is a bit of a reaction from Etsy to retort to comments/complaints/worries/upset from sellers regarding the drop in visits and sales and the future of Etsy and what it means to us as independent businesspeople.  They call it the Weather Report, and this one is regarding the month of March.  Here's a link to check it out:
 http://www.etsy.com/storque/etsy-news/etsy-statistics-march-2010-weather-report-7792/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=our+monthly+weather+report.&utm_content=etsy_news_042110&utm_campaign=etsy_news_042110

Another thing that I think I should clear up is that I said (I was repeating what I'd heard without full research ... shame on me!!!) that Artfire is facing bankrupsy.  This is not true!  Artfire is simply placing ads in non-paying sellers' shops to boost earnings for the whole of Artfire.  I personally don't see much wrong with this even though it might send a buyer to another place and lose me a sale.  I mean, Artfire is providing this service that costs them something to provide; and they are getting nothing in return from the non-paying sellers.  I think they're totally within their rights and ethics to place ads in these shops.  But that's my opinion......  Just thought I should correct my statement that they're facing bankrupsy.  If they are, I don't see evidence to that effect other than comments by upset sellers.

In that vein, though, I started to think about eCrater.  They offer everything there -- selling, buying, tools, support, blah, blah .... almost endless offerings and really high quality -- and they charge absolutely nothing for it.  I actually didn't think much about this until the whole discontent issue fired up at Artfire; but I started browsing around eCrater looking for ads and such, wondering how in the world they are making any money.  I have found NOTHING except a note from them when a link is broken saying "open a free shop at eCrater."  But that's not generating income either.  I find not one single thing that's creating any income for them.  I'm starting to wonder if this is a wealthy person behind eCrater who's got a huge heart and love for artisans and sellers.  It's amazing.  I still wonder what I'm missing.....  :P  

Well, I'm off to do some more work on my Facebook page for The Knitwit's Hues and also get some chores done here at home.  I send smiles to all of you!
~~~

The Knitwit



Note: My current extra prayer/support list is:
- Gloria
- Lovlee
- Kim
- Jeanie
- Kate
- Gypsy Froggie

No comments: